Published: Friday 10 June 2016
So what are the benefits of massage for babies?
Did you know that a ten minute massage, two or three times a week helps make a more confident parent-infant relationship?
Babies love it and it can help alleviate baby ailments too. You will probably ask yourself, do babies actually need massage? Surely they are supple, relaxed and do not seem to face the stresses that make us knotted and tense?
We believe that the following are the top benefits of baby massage but perhaps you’ve others you’d like to add to the list?
- Baby massage develops a feeling of being loved, respected and secure
- Baby massage has been shown to help with attachment and bonding
- Baby massage can alleviate trapped wind, soothe colic and alleviate constipation
- Jaw massage can relax a baby who has just begun to take solids
- Gum massage through the skin may ease the pain of teething
- Baby massage can unblock baby's blocked nose
- It can smooth the transition from womb to the world
- Baby massage develops baby's first language: touch
- It teaches positive loving touch
- It helps develop body, mind, awareness and coordination
- Baby massage helps to regulate and strengthen baby's digestive and respiratory systems and stimulate circulatory and nervous systems
- It promotes relaxation
- It can help to reduce 'fussiness'
- Baby massage improves quality of sleep
- It strengthens and tones muscles
- It can improve skin conditions
- Baby massage offers skin to skin activity for non breast-fed babies
- It offers an opportunity for socialization in groups
- Baby massage aids and supports development
Have you found these benefits in baby massage? Perhaps you’re aware of the benefits and now want to learn how to pass this skill on? We run courses for those wishing to become a baby massage instructor and nurseries (or other childcare settings) who wish to add infant massage to their repertoire. Contact us if you’d like to run an in-house course or discuss your requirements in more detail.
Search archive by keyword...
- baby massage
- baby yoga
- baby first aid
- first aid